The Burial Place of St Margaret Clitheroe?
St Margaret Clitheroe,Stydd. The Burial Place of St Margaret Clitheroe?
The hypothesis that St Margaret Clitheroe is buried in the chapel at Stydd is based, in the first place, on three accounts, two of which are dated 1586 and 1592. (St Margaret was put to death March 25th, 1586)','."the sergeants and catchpolls were commanded to bury her body at midnight in an obscure and filthy corner of the city that none should know where, which they did with great secrecy, that in the whole six weeks after catholics could not find it".
View of Stydd Chapel Ribchester
It was found and secretly transported. How far? "A long journey on horse back to a place where it rested six days before the necessary preservatives could be gotten... and after was laid up as a worthy treasure until God... send His peace again unto His Church , that then it may be kept with due honour". "... a great journey where he buried it again more decently eight weeks after her martyrdom". We are talking, then, of a journey that took about a week.
Stydd Chapel - The square windows seem to have been transferred from St Wilfrid's, Ribchester, in the 17th cent
To whom would they come? The staunchest Catholic in the area of Ribchester was possibly William Hawksworth of Mitton. His landed interests stretched across the West Riding to well beyond York, so the lines of communication were just right. He had acted as guide to Campion on his visit north. He had sent no fewer than four of his sons to Douai, the college whose president was William (Cardinal) Allen. His wife was a close relation, probably a niece, of Allen's mother. There were two priests in York connected with St Margaret. John Mush, Margaret's spiritual director, had been appointed by Dr. Allen as leader of the secular priests in the North. It is likely that he was acquainted in York with William Hawksworth. However, it is another priest working in York who was mentioned in Margaret's indictment as having being harboured in her house. He is Fr. Francis Ingleby- and he was connected with the Hawksworths through the marriage of his youngest sister.
Stydd Chapel - The Porch appears to be later c.1800's
So where might the body of St Margaret have been "with reverence buried where the God's grace it may be kept a glorious relic for better times to come?" It has been noted, above, that missionary activity in the Ribchester area seems to have been centred on Bailey Hall which stood in the parish of Mitton. In 1915 a party from Stonyhurst excavated the ruins of a medieval chantry attached to the Hall. Beneath the site of the altar they discovered a burial crypt, approached by a flight of thirteen stone steps and lying in the traditional position for the shrine of a martyr, to be dated not earlier in the second half of the sixteenth century. It was empty. For whom had this "luxury" been prepared? The family that held Bailey Hall was a junior branch of the shireburnes and firmly recusant. Their Chantry chapel had been founded in the fourteenth century by a kinsman, Robert de Cliderow ! Thought they had the chapel they would not seem to have had the wealth to construct so lavish a vault for themselves. The need to provide seems again to point to William Hawksworth whose favourite house was just two miles away. But if this exceptional burial place was prepared to receive the remains of St Margaret Clitheroe - where is the body?
Unmarked Tombstone The resting place of St Margaret Clitheroe?
The east window is early 13th cent. The pulpit Jacobean (17th cent.)
By 1716 the Shireburnes had left Bailey Hall. Richard Shireburn had joined Bonnie Prince Charlie in the '15 rebellion. His estates were forfeit and by Act of the Parliament Bailey Hall was to pass into the Protestants hands. Was the body of St Margaret to be rescued and kept safe "for better days to come?" In 1686 an estate, a little further to the west, had been purchased by a Catholic consortium - Stydd. The Anglicans in Lancashire were sympathetic to the defeated Jacobites. The Vicar of Ribchester had accepted two men "Executed for treason" for burial in his churchyard. Fr Sir Walter Vavasour, baronet, who had operated from Bailey Hall carried some social clout and was on good terms with local Anglicans- himself to be buried at Stydd. A request for permission to transfer to the chancel of Stydd chapel the body of a Catholic lady buried privately in Bailey Hall chapel might have been easily granted.
Bailey Hall - The almshouses are said to have been founded by one
In the Vavasour family there is an oral tradition: "She was taken a horse's journey at night and was buried; there she will remain until the church is restored to its own". this seems to have originated with Fr Vavasour and would not refer to the journey from York but to the translation from Bailey Hall to the Stydd chapel.
|Site Menu: • Home • About Us • Clergy • Parish History • ' This Week ' • Bulletin Archive • Life of St. Nicholas Owen • Churches Together • External Links • Children's Liturgy Group • How to Find Us • Calendar • Year View • Month View • Past Events • Photo Gallery • Homilies • Homilies • News & Articles • Articles • Headlines • Archive • Bibles • Bible Page • Guestbook • View • Contact Us • Sitemap • Search Page|